For this discussion, study “Common Sense” in For the Record and relevant passage
For this discussion, study “Common Sense” in For the Record and relevant passages in America: A Narrative History. Also, here is a digital link to the article: https://www.wwnorton.com/college/history/america10_cp/ch/05/documents.aspx?selTab=1#titles
Provide a detailed response to each of the following questions. In order to receive credit you must paraphrase or quote from the reading.
1. What does Paine say are some of the “material injuries” the colonies had sustained due to their dependence on Great Britain? What are the strengths and weaknesses in his argument?
2. Was Paine right to say that “Europe and not England is the parent country of America”? Why should that concept be considered a factor for separation?
3. What interests could America better pursue if independent?
4. What does Paine say would guarantee American success? Why?
5. Why did he argue for a declaration of independence and for immediate action?