Learning Objectives Identify the competing rights and considerations of fairness
Identify the competing rights and considerations of fairness for employers and employees seeking to protect or use confidential information.
Explain the concepts of intellectual property and trade secrets
Identify the arguments surrounding questions of the ownership, protection, and collection of proprietary information
Identify how how intellectual property, ownership, protection, and collection of proprietary information affect the employer-employee relationship.
Describe the meaning of conflict of interest, the different types of conflict of interest, and ways by which business firms can manage these situations.
The time estimated to complete this module is 45 minutes.
To be successful in this module, complete the following tasks in order:
Step 1: Read Chapter 5 in Boatright and Smith book. Review presentation slides.
Step 2: Read Barbie vs. the Bratz Girls Case on page 82 in Boatright and Smith book.
Step 3: In this assignment, each of you are assigned a group. Post the question and your group’s response in your designated section on the shared via Canvas Assignment tab. As a group answer all 10 questions.
Maximum Points: 20
Barbie vs. Bratz
1: Summarize the case.
2. What are the dilemmas with this case?
3. What sort of agreement was signed? Please explain.
4. What was unclear about the agreement? Please explain. [Note, you can provide your opinion and the Defense which would be Carter Bryant and MGA’s perspective] 5. What should have been included in the agreement or how could it have been reworded for clarity?
6. Was there any confidential information revealed? If so, what was it? [Note, you can provide your opinion and Mattel’s perspective].
7. What item(s) were considered proprietary (by whom)? [Note, you can provide your opinion, Mattel’s and/or Carter Bryant] 8. Was there a conflict of interest? If so, what type (please explain). [Note, you can provide your opinion but be sure to include Mattel’s perspective] 9. What would have happened if Carter Bryant would have signed a non-competitive agreement? What would this agreement entail?
10. In lieu of contracts, what could Mattel done to improve their relationship with Carter Bryant?