Exam 2 Please answer the questions below in as much detail as possible given the
Please answer the questions below in as much detail as possible given the specified lengths. You do not need to cite lectures or the textbook, though all non-course material sources should be properly cited. You may use any citation style you like. Please be sure to write everything in your own words. Do not just copy/paste material from the internet or power points. It is obvious when that is done and plagiarism will result in a F grade on the exam.
Short Answers (15 points: 2 to 3 paragraphs each)
1. Why is the IMF often criticized for promoting a pro-US agenda? Are the neo-liberal policies promoted by the institution universally applicable or does the success of said policies rely on cultural and institutional factors within countries?
2. Why are some countries able to develop economically while others have not been able to? What are the domestic and international factors that influence development?
3. How can debates over human rights become a clash of cultural values? Be sure to provide examples.
4. What are some common strategies employed by terrorists and the goals of each?
5. Why do civil wars occur? How can civil wars influence world politics?
Essay (25 points: 3 to 5 paragraphs)
6. In regard to the politics of the global environment, the international community has been able to handle some issues with relative ease (e.g. ozone depletion), while others issues have been extremely contentious and difficult to address (e.g. climate change). Why is the case? Why is climate change so contentious?