1. Write an essay in which you critique and evaluate how the author of “Tipping
1. Write an essay in which you critique and evaluate how the author of
“Tipping System Exacerbates Unfair Pay at Restaurants”
builds an argument to convince her audience that restaurant workers deserve fair wages from their employers instead of tips.
This is a 5 paragraph essay.
2. In your essay, explain and evaluate how Kathleen Kingsbury uses one or more of the features in the directions to develop her argument.
3. Be sure that your critique focuses on the most relevant features of the passage.
4. Your essay should not explain whether you agree or disagree with Kingsbury’s claims.
5. Instead, it should explain and evaluate how Kingsbury builds an argument to persuade the audience.
7. Write a clear, compelling conclusion that supports the information in your essay.
8. Consider how your critique influenced the reader (you).
As you read the passage, consider how Kathleen Kingsbury uses
evidence, such as facts or examples, to support claims,
reasoning to develop ideas and to connect claims and evidence,
stylistic or persuasive elements, such as word choice or appeals to emotion, to add power to the ideas expressed.